Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Crispy Kale Chips

For those of you that have worked in food service or a restaurant in the last 10 years, you will recognize kale as a salad bar filler/decoration. I remember fluffing it and placing it around crocks filled with salad toppings to make a salad bar more attractive. Eating it? HECK NO! But I have had a craving for a salty, crunchy something or other lately but can not stop at just a handful of chips. I have seen recipes for crunchy kale chips but couldn't really see myself eating them. So, this is yet another recipe that I just needed to try to believe!

Take a head of kale, wash it and cut out the thick stem. I used a curly type leaf but you can use a Lacinato/Tuscan Kale. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment or spray it with non-stick spray.


Once the stem is cut out, chop or tear the kale into 3 inch pieces. Toss these in a drizzle of olive oil and place in a single layer on the baking sheet. I sprinkled half of my sheet with sea salt and the other half with a BBQ rub.


Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, separate them/turn them over and bake for another 7 minutes. Let them cool and enjoy! Store them in an air tight container.


No comments:

Post a Comment