Saturday, March 17, 2012

Homemade Hummus

Hummus is such an awesome snack! Personally, I love it with reduced fat Wheat Thins. There are many brands of hummus in the grocery store, but what better way to save money AND create your own flavors than by making it at home. There is no oil added in my recipe - watch for store bought brands that have oil laying on top. Here is a great recipe, especially if you like garlic. You can add roasted red peppers or olives depending on your taste.

4 cloves of garlic (I use the tube of garlic just because I'm lazy and hate smelling it on my hands!)
2 cups canned chickpeas, drained with liquid reserved
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/3 cup tahini
5 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tbsp water or liquid from the chickpeas

Basically, I lump it all into the food processor and pulse it until I like the consistency.

Just remember to scrape the sides down so you don't get chunks. 
That's it - enjoy!

 For those of you wondering, what the heck is tahini and what do I do with the rest of the jar - here ya go.
Tahini is ground sesame seeds. This ingredient is used mostly in Mediterranean recipes. It has a rich, nutty flavor with a tad of sweetness.  You can use tahini as a flavoring in homemade salad dressings, sauces for rice or pasta, or mix it with honey for a bagel/toast spread.

No comments:

Post a Comment