Monday, March 19, 2012

Smoked Steelhead


I bought this cool little smoker from Target. It's supposed to be a smoker that you use on the stove, but I have been using it outside on the grill (cut down on the smell inside the house!). Tonight I worked with Steelhead in the smoker for a nice, light dinner.


Steelhead a cross between a rainbow trout and a salmon. It looks like salmon. It tastes like salmon (just milder). It is cheaper than salmon! Using a BBQ type rub and some sea salt, I seasoned it up (about 1 tbsp of seasoning and 1 tsp of salt...rubbed in). The BBQ rub does not have any sodium, but the sea salt I added helped bring out the flavor.

I use basic smoker chips that I picked up at the grocery store. With about 2 cups in the bottom of the pan, I center the drip pan right on top. Because I am cooking fish which is more delicate than any other meat, I use a moist heat. Place 1 cup of water or juice in the drip tray for moist heat and leave it empty for dry heat (chicken, pork or beef).

Add the cooking tray and the fish, arranged to fit so the lid doesn't smash it. This will cook on the stove on smoker setting (check your grill dial) for about 20 to 25 minutes. Leave the lid on the smoker and grill closed for maximum heat. When it is done cooking, the meat will flake perfectly. Always check in the thickest part of the fish, this takes the longest to cook.

Serve with some rice and steamed vegetables for a complete dinner. Remember your portion sizes when serving this: 3 to 4 ounces of fish (the palm of your hand), 1/2 cup of rice and 1 cup of vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment