Tuesday, May 22, 2012

My Iced Coffee

My friend Ana loves iced coffee...and I mean LOVES iced coffee. I have never really liked iced coffee. This dislike probably came from the one and only time that I had iced coffee, thirteen or so years ago when I worked at Dunkin' Donuts. So, after realizing my real age and understanding that iced coffee may have changed a bit in the last decade plus...I searched for recipes to try.


 Instead of brewing double strength, hot coffee, I went with a cold brew approach. Taking an empty gallon jug from my iced tea, I poured in 1/2 pound of coffee grounds. Then I filled the gallon to the top with cold water. Put the lid on, give it a good shake and let it sit over night.


 In the morning, line a mesh strainer with cheesecloth and filter out the grounds. Go slowly as the grounds can start to back it all up. You can use a spoon to smush the coffee through (yep, I said smush). Discard the grounds.


There were still some floaties in the liquid, so before I put it in the storage container I strained it again. Place another section of cheesecloth over the container with a rubber band and pour the liquid through.


 I added Vanilla Almond Milk and the Coffee mixture - half and half in a cup with ice. 
Ana is correct...this stuff is GREAT!


No comments:

Post a Comment