Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Roasted Beets

I have seen food blogs with wonderful pictures of beets...roasted, cooked, in salads, etc. As I have said before, I am not sure if it has something to do with me working with the elderly but I can't stand beets. The pickled ones, the canned ones or any dish related to those versions. So, I am almost too determined to find a recipe that I can use fresh beets in to try. Let's get roasting!

I was going to wrap to fresh beets in foil to roast them but behold, no foil! I found a turkey roasting bag and figured that it was worth a try.

I washed the beets and chopped off the stems and roots. In the roasting bag I topped the beets with some olive oil and kosher salt. After tying off the bag, I cut the massive excess off with some scissors.


At 375 degrees for one hour and 30 minutes, these two little beets roasted slowly. When they were done I simply sliced them into the beautiful purple slices that you see below. As I was eating them, I trimmed off the skin (didn't want my hands turning purple). Not bad...not bad at all. I think that I will make a glaze or sauce next time with orange juice. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment